Monday, November 28, 2016


Olá!

This week marks 3 months that I have been on my mission! It has been a great 3 months that has flown by. I am loving Brasil and this opportunity I have to serve the people here. This week went so fast. Last P-Day after emailing we got a new microwave and we had popcorn. So I watched the movie, "The Restoration" and ate popcorn :) After, we had a lesson with Wesley (our investigator who speaks 4 languages) We talked about the Word of Wisdom and Chastity. He likes to speak English sometimes, so he will ask me a question in English, I respond, then we speak Portuguese, and then English again. haha. We switch back and forth so many times. The lesson went super well. We poured all his beer down the sink, threw away his coffee, and destroyed all his cigarettes. I then gave him a blessing in English. And then he gave the closing prayer in French, which is his first language. So our lessons are in many languages. It is a lot of fun. He has been pretty strong in following the commandments, still is struggling, but is doing a lot better now. He is still trying to find a better job so that he can come to Church, but he is trying and we are working with him every day.

The other people we are working a lot with is a family who lives in an apartment right next to us. Raulino (the father) hasn't gone to church in 16 years but he is starting to go frequently now! He has two daughters who also are starting to go!  We had family night with them on Thanksgiving and did an activity where we say what we are grateful for, but we can't repeat what another person said. It was so much fun. The hardest part for me was thinking of new words in Portuguese. Haha. On another night, we watched a Mormon Message with them, and every single person in the family started crying. I felt the spirit so strongly and am so happy for them.

We have also been working with Raulino's brother since the time that I have gotten here and this week he went to church for the first time in 16 years! He was the biggest surprise. We talk with him so many times and invite him to church every week, but he never goes and always says he will go the next week. We fasted fo the entire family, and it was such a miracle that they all went. When I saw them at the church I wanted to jump and dance around for joy!

Thanksgiving was very different this year. It is not a holiday here so it was just another normal day. We did have churrasco for lunch so I was extremely happy with my Thanksgiving feast.

Saturday was one of the longest days in the field I have had. We didn't have any plans, so we contacted and knocked doors which walking up and down hills all day. It is also starting to heat up, so it was a long, hot day. It was good though because of the night with Raulino and his family. It is weird with all the heat here, but also with Christmas decorations starting to come up also. Somedays after walking up and down hills I am soaked with sweat. Só bençãos (Only blessings) haha. we say that phrase a lot.

Sunday night it rained so much. More than I have ever seen in my life. We were waiting for Raulino and his family and we heard what sounded like a bucket being poured on the roof of the school across the street from us. We realized that the rain was coming, but couldn't open our umbrellas fast enough, so in an instant, we were completely soaked. It was absolutely crazy. It was a lot of fun, though. And after we had a great family home evening with Raulino and his family :)

One last thing, we are pushing the Church's Christmas initiative right now a lot. They have an amazing video that shows the program on Mormon.org, and every day they have ways that we can "Light the World". Go look up the video and share it with everyone you know. We truly can light the world with the love and spirit of Christ. I am so grateful for these experiences I am having here and for this opportunity I have to share my testimony with so many people. Eu amo vocês!

Elder Johnson

More critter hunting.

And there it is.

Popcorn and a show!
Our newest investigator.





No comments:

Post a Comment