Monday, November 21, 2016

Olá!

So this week went by super fast. It started really well when last P-Day we went to a Churrascaria, which is basically like Tucanos in Provo, but for 6 dollars. It was so amazing. The food here is incredible. We also had Churrasco there another day and for a ward activity, so I ate really well this week. Haha. We met our newest investigator in the Churrascaria. He works there and he speaks 5 languages! (Portuguese, English, Spanish, Creole and French). He started speaking to me in English and asking me questions about missionaries and we have now gone and visited him every single day at his house which is very close by. His name is Wesley. He is so nice and hardworking. He has so many trials in his life and it is hard sometimes to see him going through so much, from financial problems to family problems. He has a lot of faith though and it continues to grow. He wasn't able to get off work this Sunday to come to church, but he is trying to change his schedule so that he will be there this week. He is also planning on being baptized!

We had divisions this week which was fun. I went to a new area for two days! The first day was with a Brazilian and it was pretty normal. A lot of walking and teaching. Haha. I also tried a new drink called "Guaraná Jesus". It is basically like drinking liquid cotton candy. Haha. The second day was with an American elder and it was so much fun! He hasn't been here much longer than me, so our Portuguese is not amazing, but it was so different and so much fun. We were able to teach a lot and make a lot of contacts! Definitely, one of the best days here as it truly was just a baptism by fire for two new American missionaries.

We also had interviews with the President this week! It was a lot of fun. As Sister Thomas doesn't speak much Portuguese, I got to translate for her! It was so different and a lot of fun! Also, she was writing all of the conversion stories of everyone in the mission, so I got to translate all of the stories that the Brazilian's told into English!

On Sunday, the ward had the Primary Program. It was so much fun to hear all the songs I grew up with in Portuguese. It was also super weird, but I felt the spirit so strongly as I heard the simple truths that the kids sang, told, and, at times, screamed. Haha. I am truly grateful for this opportunity to serve. We have transfers tomorrow and I will stay here with my trainer for another 6 weeks, but it shows me how fast the time is going. I am trying to make every day count.

It has been raining a lot. Every day it usually is super hot, and then rains, and then is a little bit cold. Perfect temperature for me at night, but the Brazilians are always freezing. Haha. We have been working with a lot of less active members and actually have a few of them starting to return after a lot of years. Sometimes we focus on baptism, which is good, but enduring to the end is also an important step of the gospel of Jesus Christ. It has been amazing for me to talk with people every day and see the light of the gospel enter their life for the first time, or return to their life. You can see such a difference in their lives and the lives of those around them. One transfer down. I am excited for the rest of my mission! There is no Thanksgiving here, but I have been thinking about it and I am truly grateful for all the people in my life who have helped me get here and who continue to strengthen me through prayers, emails, and guidance.  Thank you all for everything you do!

Elder Johnson

A carnivorous Tucana. Huh? I thought they only ate Froot Loops.
Elder's Quorum Churrasco. Nice activity!
Our amazing chapel.


Large and in charge in Brazil!

Like drinking Cotton Candy. 




No comments:

Post a Comment